The Data Loader is a client application for the bulk import or export of data. Use it to insert, update, delete, or extract salesforce records. The Apex Data Loader can move data into or out of any type of salesforce record, including opportunities and custom objects. When importing data, it reads, extracts, and loads data from comma separated values (CSV) files. When exporting data, it outputs CSV files.
Follow below steps to download the Apex Data Loader.
Go to Setup>Administer > Data Management >Data Loader
Features of Data Loader:
Features of the Data Loader include:
- An easy-to-use wizard interface
- An alternate command line interface
- A batch mode interface with database connectivity
- Support for large files with up to millions of rows
- Drag-and-drop field mapping
- Support for all objects, including custom objects
- Detailed success and error log files in CSV format
- A built-in CSV file viewer
- Supported on Windows 7 and Windows XP, though an unofficial OS X version is also available
- STEP 1: Once logged into the Data Loader, Go into Setting and click on “Server host .” If you want to update Production data then Server host url will be like https://login.salesforce.com and for staging url will be https://test.salesforce.com.Note:Please update the “Time Zone” as per the culture.
STEP 2: Save the file in a .csv. Launch the Data Loader and click “Update” button and select .csv file.
STEP 3: Login into Data Loader. For reset Security Tocken go to Setup>Personal Setup>My Personal Information>Reset my security tocken
STEP 4 : Select the object in Salesforce you’d like to update (in this case the Lead object), and browse and select your file that you’d like to use. Then click “Next.”
STEP-5: click the “Create or Edit Map” button
NOTE: Map the fields you need by dragging them down from the list of fields available in the top window down to the fields that correspond to the columns in your .csv file. In our case we need the ID (Record ID) , Group Pac ID, Lead Generator, Owner Id and the Date Assigned field. Then we can click “OK”, then “Next.”
We can auto match fields to column from here or drop or drag fields from above section and match with records.
STEP 6: Choose the location where you want your success and error file saved and click “Finish.”
You’ll then get a warning saying you’re about to update records – click “Yes” and let the update.
After that you get all success operation record file and failed record error file in .csv format.
Suggestion: For first time use Data Loader for update perform the above steps with few records (5 to 10 records) just for testing purpose if all goes right then we should look for bulk import.